Tuesday 9 April 2013

Hey, Megan here!

Well we have now been in Voss fir a whole week and da place is incredible: beautiful scenery, welcoming people and amazing chocolate! I started my placement at Vangen Skule on Friday and even fae meeting da teachers and pupils briefly on Thursday I could already tell dat I am going ta love every minute o it. I am really enjoying being taught Norwegian by da pupils and trying ta interact can sometimes be very amusing due ta da language barrier. Thankfully, dir is a pupil who speaks both fluent Norwegian and fluent English who has become my best friend and translator at da school. Over da last couple o nights I have been making up a couple of power points ta teach da children aboot Shetland damorn and I also plan ta teach dem a few Shetland words too. I have also noticed many differences between da Norwegian school system here and what school is like back in Shetland. It is very interesting ta see da differences and I hoop dat what I learn here will be very effective in my future :)
After school is finished at 1:30pm I go to SFO, da after school club until 2.30pm. It has been great fun as a few of the bairns have decided ta take me in and translate fir da younger bairns. They have me drawing pictures, making pom poms and all sorts of different crafts. Today, I went with a few of da children to meet da children with profound special needs in da school. Da SFO children visit these children every day ta draw dem pictures and keep dem company. I have noticed dat dir is a lot of equality in da school, dirs no judging of other children and dir is very little to no bullying. Everybody is accepted da way they are and it is amazing to see.

As well as placement I went on da Norway in a Nutshell tour with da others on Saturday and it wis a fantastic trip with absolutely breathtaking scenery, although being stuck in da train station at Myrdal ended up in a numb bum from sitting on da ground fir an hour and a half! As well as dat, we went up da mountain and saw da beautiful view of Voss. I have managed ta cook and do my washing without getting food poisoning or shrinking my clothes so I believe dis is a massive success :)

No comments:

Post a Comment