Thursday 11 April 2013

John's Placement

Hello, I'm John Irvine.  My time in Voss is a completely new experience for me, personally and professionally.

I am currently working in Plei, a corner computer maintenance shop, until 19th April.  Everyone was nice and spoke good English.  Sometimes there isn't much to do as the only experience of computer hardware is at a college class, so we keep trying to find simpler tasks for me to do.  i.e. remove hard drive components or updating my laptop settings (disk defragment, updating files, installing firewalls, etc).  Usually if there is nothing for me to do, I take my laptop in and use a language-learning software to study Norwegian.  Generally I'm doing fine so far in this placement.  Check out Plei on Facebook and you'll find a picture of me working on my laptop.
I hope my placement in the Voss Kulturhus library would be good as well.

I personally believe that this placement is a brilliant opportunity to develop my life skills as well, such as living independently, finding my own way around, cooking skills, etc.  Even being in Norway is thrilling since I had never been to anywhere in Scandinavia, let alone Norway, before I came to Voss (unless Shetland counts on a technicality!).  I hope this trip gets better and better as the days go by.

No comments:

Post a Comment