Friday 12 April 2013

Hi Abby again

From the perspective of an art student this place, with its dramatic landscape never fails to inspire the imagination. The peace and tranquility of the mountains and fjords gives me the opportunity to explore new ideas for my paintings. I said goodbye to the Magasinet today that makes going to my new placement bittersweet as i know i will be nostalgic about about this week. Meeting different artists showed me many different ways of approaching my own art, as well as the astrists explained the processes and inspirations fro their work such as Tua Broms (I favorite example of her work is just below - Rododendron), 


 who explained her complex theme of idea that patterns all contain a sense of individuality. during these discussions i showed some of the artists my work and Tua gave me her opinion on my work on where it did not achieve certain standards in some areas but she also explain what it was she believed would improve my work.


On Wednesday and Thursday i decided to go in early and take some photos of the birds around my placement and after half and hour each day i finally got two:


The reason for the need of the birds is that I am thinking about using them in a final personal project for my course in which I plan on creating a print or painting inspired by the landscape and birds as i do love the trees here.


A Woodpecker too now I am no bird watcher but I got really excited at that.


Another artist I spoke to was Geir Nymark who etches the mountains and Fjords of Norway, when I walked into his studio space today I felt like a child who just met their favorite star as I just loved his works such as the "Fjorden baby, fjorden" 


Telling him that this was my Favorite he gave me a postcard of it as the print it's self is a bit out of my price range but if I had the money so worth it. He and Svein are MΓΈrkve, a printer working next door, explain their process of printing that made a lot of sense and i began to understand the practice of etching. I was also given a heart shaped sun catcher off a ceramics artist that I met on my first day. 
During my placement I have working alongside Matias Ringheim who is an artist and a founder of the Magasinet, with him i scaled down new parts for his sculpture and then transferred and altered an old pattern from at blanket and made a new colorful version. 

so to say thank-you to the artists for letting me bother them all week i thought i would make shortbread one failing from the start was that i am a terrible cook. so to counter act for that was i would have a practice first and a brilliant thing happened they all work, i was like YES. after that i let everyone eat them Megan definitely  loved them so i went to make the next lot on guess what... they all went WRONG so there went that idea. Instead i gave them a painting. 

Speak to you soon if you are still reading that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment